- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Cold War drama — previously titled Ironbark — made its debut in January at the Sundance Film Festival.
Directed by Dominic Cooke from a script by Tom O’Connor, The Courier is based on the true story of Greville Wynne (Cumberbatch), an unassuming businessman recruited to help end the Cuban Missile Crisis who forms a dangerous relationship with a Soviet intelligence officer (Merab Ninidze). Rachel Brosnahan and Jessie Buckley also star in the film.
“Theaters have indicated gradual openings this ?summer, with health and safety guiding the way. If everything proceeds favorably, we feel the true spy thriller The Courier, with a must-see performance by Benedict Cumberbatch, is just the type of film that will ha?ve audiences excited to return to their local cinemas in late August,” Roadside co-presidents Howard Cohen and Eric d’Arbeloff said Wednesday in announcing the release date.
The Courier is a 42 M&P, SunnyM?arch and FilmNation Entertainment ?production.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day