- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Icon picked up the doc for U.K. release, with Bodega taking the film for France and Madman handling Australia. K5 has also inked deals with Asmik for Japan and Falcon for the Middle East. Several other deals are pending, according to the German/U.K. sales group.
Described as a life-affirming documentary about the triumph of the human spirit, Next Goal Wins follows the American Samoa soccer team, long the world’s worst-ranked national squad, as it struggled to get its first ever win. Debut directors Mike Brett and Steve Jamison pick up the story at the moment when a maverick Dutch coach is hired to manage the team’s World Cup qualifying campaign. Soccer docs are enjoying a major boost in the lead up to this summer’s World Cup in Brazil.
K5’s success with Next Goal Wins follows on the heels of sleeper Cutie and the Boxer, an Oscar-nominated documentary by director Zachary Heinzerling focusing on the 40-year-marriage between famed boxing painter Ushio Shinohara and his artist wife Noriko. K5 has sold the theatrical doc around the world after picking up sales rights earlier last year.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day