- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Pathe Films will distribute Blessed Virgin, the new film from Dutch director Paul Verhoeven (Elle), in France.
It will be producing and distributing it in the country and will also be handling international sales for the film, introducing the title to buyers in Cannes this year. Pathe will release the film in France in 2019.
This will be the third Verhoeven film to land at Pathe. The French group released his 1995 stripper drama Showgirls and the 2006 WWII drama Black Book.
Blessed Virgin stars Elle actress Virginie Efira as Benedetta Carlini, a novice nun capable of performing miracles, who joins an Italian convent in the late 15th century, as plague is ravaging the land. While at the convent she begins a love affair with another woman.
Said Ben Said’s SBS Productions, which produced Elle, will produce the new film, with shooting set to start in August.
Verhoeven, best known for his Hollywood tentpoles, including Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct, has enjoyed a late career revival following Elle, which premiered in Cannes in 2016 and went on to score a best actress Oscar nomination for star Isabelle Huppert.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day