- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sony Pictures is twitching its nose as it orders early development of a movie version of the classic Bewitched TV sitcom, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Bewitched ran for eight seasons on ABC, from 1964 to 1972 and starred Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha, a witch who marries Darrin, a mortal (Dick York and later Dick Sargent), and attempts to become a typical suburban housewife.
Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett are conjuring up the script for the movie adaptation. Davis Entertainment is producing via John Davis and John Fox.
Sony, which owns the sitcom’s rights, earlier attempted Bewitched TV series remakes, at CBS in 2011-12 and NBC in 2014, which did not go forward. Bewitched was also remade as a 2005 feature film starring Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell.
Matalas is under an overall deal at CBS and co-runs Star Trek: Picard. Matalas and Fickett are also developing the Witch Mountain remake for Disney+, again with Davis and Fox at Davis Entertainment.
Matalas and Fickett created and ran the TV adaptation of Twelve Monkeys for Syfy Channel. The duo are repped by ICM Partners. Matalas is also repped by David Kanter at Anonymous Content.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Santa Barbara International Film Festival