- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Now that On the Road finally has made it to the big screen, the Jack Kerouac adaptations keep coming.
Up next, a film version of a markedly different Kerouac novel, Big Sur. While On the Road told the story of a young Kerouac and Neal Cassady and their late-1940s adventures across the country, Big Sur depicts the consequences of the fame that the novel brought to its troubled author once it finally was published years later.
Michael Polish directs this tale of a man besieged by sudden notoriety and unable to cope with its trappings, such as TV appearances, recognition and wealth. Jean-Marc Barr plays a Kerouac nearly 15 years older than the one played by Sam Riley in Walter Salles‘ On the Road (and under the pseudonym Jack Duluoz, not Sal Paradise), while Josh Lucas plays the Cassady character (Cody Pomeray, not Garrett Hedlund‘s Dean Moriarty). Kate Bosworth, Polish’s fiancee, plays the center of their love triangle, Billie.
As shown in the first trailer for the film, which will debut at Sundance, the story takes place in Big Sur, Calif., where Kerouac visited his friend Lawrence Ferlinghetti, as well as San Francisco.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day