- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cairo International Film Festival has announced Danish director Bille August will serve as jury president at its upcoming 40th anniversary festival.
One of Europe’s most decorated directors, August is one of eight directors in history who has won the Palme d’Or twice. He also won the Academy Award and Golden Globe for best foreign language film in 1989 for his landmark movie Pelle the Conqueror.
“Bille August is one of the eminent names in world cinema; his films have captured the hearts of audiences all over the world,” said Cairo President Mohamed Hefzy. “It is an honor to have him as the jury president in this historic 40th edition of the Festival.”
Of the announcement, August said: “I am excited and honored to be the jury president of this year’s Cairo International Film Festival and so much looking forward to watching all the films from around the world along with the jury members.”
Cairo is the oldest and most established African and Arab film festival. Artistic Director Youssef Cherif Rizkallah emphasized that August is just the first of several internationally recognized guests to be added to the lineup of this special revamped edition.
The 40th edition of the Cairo International Film Festival runs Nov. 20-29.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day