- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 grossed a massive $47 million as it began rolling out internationally in 14 markets over Easter weekend, scoring the biggest openings of the year in those countries and topping the foreign box-office chart.
The movie is getting an early start overseas ahead of its May 2 debut in North America.
Marc Webb returned to direct the sequel, which likewise returns Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the lead roles. The movie opened on par with The Amazing Spider-Man in its first international territories, and is pacing more than 30 percent ahead of recent blockbuster Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which has now grossed $385.1 million overseas.
Amazing Spider-Man 2 took in $15 million in the U.K. and Ireland and $11.1 million in Mexico. Germany debuted to $6.2 million, while Australia ponied up $5.2 million. Spain bowed with $3.9 million.
Imax theaters generated $2.3 million in ticket sales for a $47,000 location average.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day