- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Swinging its way into an additional 28 foreign markets this weekend, Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 took in another $67.2 million for an early global total of $132 million from 42 territories.
The superhero tentpole doesn’t debut in North America until May 2, officially kicking off the summer box-office season. It also opens next weekend in its remaining foreign markets, including China, Brazil and France.
Marc Webb returned to direct the sequel, which likewise returns Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the lead roles.
Among the movie’s new foreign markets, South Korea led with $13.4 million, despite the ferry tragedy gripping the country. The movie opened to $8.9 million in Russia, followed by Italy ($6.5 million), Japan ($5.2 million), Taiwan ($4.1 million) and Venezuela ($1.5 million).
Amazing Spider-Man 2 stayed at No. 1 in the U.K., taking in $5.7 million for a total $27.8 million, while Mexico added $4.3 million for a total $19.5 million.
Imax, the favorite of fanboys, is generating big business for Amazing Spider-Man 2, with 146 screens generating $7 million in ticket sales.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day