- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Warner Bros.’ new foray into the wizarding world of J.K. Rowling, crossed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office on Tuesday, it was announced Wednesday by Sue Kroll, the studio’s president of worldwide marketing and distribution.
The film, which bowed Nov. 18 in the U.S., opened atop the domestic box office with a $74.4 million first weekend, and it held onto second place in its second weekend, with its three-day haul dropping by just 39.4 percent to $45.1 million. To date, Fantastic Beasts has taken in $161 million domestically.
Internationally, the fantasy film, starring Eddie Redmayne and directed by David Yates, has collected $344 million. It debuted this past weekend in China, where it grossed $41.1 million, beating out Disney’s Moana for the top spot in that territory. In the markets where it was playing in its second weekend, it logged a 46 percent drop.
As of Tuesday, after its first two weekends of release, Fantastic Beasts’ global box-office tally stood at $505 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Representation in Hollywood