- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film achieved the milestone on Friday upon finishing the day with a running total of $60 million.
The previous best showing domestically belonged to Christopher Nolan’s Tenet, which finished its run with $58.5 million in ticket sales.
Globally, Godzilla vs. Kong should pass Tenet‘s global total of $365 million sometime next week.
The fourth installment in Legendary’s MonsterVerse series had the advantage of being the first movie to open after cinemas in New York and Los Angeles were finally allowed to reopen, albeit at reduced capacity.
Last weekend, it’s rousing $48.1 million opening at the North American box office and $123 million internationally was a huge boost for the battered film and exhibition business, and underscored the pent-up demand among moviegoers to return to the theater.
Heading into its second outing, Godzilla vs. Kong grossed $3.9 million on its second Friday for an expected weekend haul in the $13 million to $14 million range. The tentpole, which is also available on HBO Max, will have no trouble clearing the $100 million mark domestically,.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day