- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Les Mis, from Universal and Working Title, now has earned $134.3 million in North America and $165.7 million internationally for an even $300 million. Through Sunday, the movie’s total should hit $311.9 million, eclipsing the Oscar-winning musical Chicago ($306.8 million).
With an ensemble cast that includes Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried, Les Mis is nominated for eight Academy Awards, including best picture, best actor (Jackman) and best supporting actress (Hathaway). Both Jackman and Hathaway won Golden Globe awards earlier this month.
Les Mis currently ranks as the fourth top grossing musical of all time behind fellow Universal pic Mamma Mia! ($609.8 million), Grease ($395 million) and Chicago.
Overseas, Les Mis is a favorite at the U.K. box office, where it has held the No. 1 spot for three weeks in a row for a 15-day cume of $34.1 million, the top gross ever for a Jackman film.
Les Mis has yet to open in 31 countries, including Brazil, Italy and Thailand.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day