- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Paramount’s Footloose danced it up at the Friday box office, grossing an estimated $5.57 million and putting the remake on course to top the weekend chart with $17 million.
PHOTOS: Julianne Hough and Her Co-Stars Fete ‘Footloose’
Starring Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough, Footloose looks to steal the No. 1 spot from DreamWorks holdover Real Steel, which grossed an estimated $4.7 million on its second Friday for a projected second weekend cume of $15.5 million.
VIDEO: Blake Shelton’s ‘Footloose’ Music Video Premieres
Footloose earned an A CinemaScore, portending good word of mouth.
VIDEO: ‘The Thing’ Trailer Hits With Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Elsewhere at the box office, Universal’s early Halloween entry The Thing, a prequel to John Carpenter’s 1972 movie of the same name, grossed an estimated $3.8 million on its first day for a solid $10 million to $11 million weekend opening.
Universal is distributing The Thing verseas for Morgan Creek, which owned the international rights. The pic opens this weekend in Australia, France, Hong Kong and Taiwan this weekend.
The Thing received a B- CinemaScorae, the same grade awarded to Fox 2000’s adult comedy The Big Year. The Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson got off to a sluggish start, grossing an estimated $1.25 on Friday for a disappointing weekend gross of less than $4 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day