- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
New Line and Warner Bros.’ We’re the Millers laughed its way to $1.7 million in Tuesday night grosses, a promising beginning for the R-rated comedy as it began rolling out in 2,700 theaters at 8 p.m.
Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber, We’re the Millers stars Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts and Will Poulter as a fake family who smuggle marijuana out of Mexico. Ed Helms also stars in the film.
“We’re off to a great start,” said a WB executive.
The film is tracking better than fellow New Line comedy Horrible Bosses, which posted a three-day opening weekend gross of $28.3 million. Aniston and Sudeikis also starred in that pic.
Warner Bros. and New Line insiders believe We’re the Millers has a shot of grossing $35 million in its five-day debut, despite blistering reviews from some critics. But the movie has plenty of competition, particularly Sony’s sci-fi adventure Elysium, which doesn’t open until Friday.
The weekend also brings two new family friendly films, Disney’s Planes and 20th Century Fox’s Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.
Sea of Monsters also began rolling out Tuesday night, although at 10 p.m. The sequel took in $853,380 from 2,155 locations. “We had terrific late shows last night,” said a Fox executive.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show