- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It’s also the fourth biggest earner of all time at the foreign box office, bested only by Avatar ($2 billion), Titanic ($1.2 billion) and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($742.1 million), which it’s on track to surpass.
Just as impressive, On Stranger Tides has now jumped the $900 million mark globally, with a cume of $907.4 million through Tuesday, easily making it the top film of 2011, at least so far.
On Stranger Tides has played far better overseas, where 3D is booming in markets including Russia, China and Brazil. The movie’s domestic gross is $211.5 million.
There’s growing consensus that On Stranger Tides will hit $1 billion in global grosses, a rare feat that only a handful of films have achieved. In terms of the Pirates franchise, only Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest crossed $1 billion in global grosses, cuming $1.1 billion.
On Stranger Tides was directed by Rob Marshall and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day