- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon grossed roughly $21.5 million at the domestic box office on Thursday, upping its total take to an impressive $64.7 million in its first 48 hours.
Dark of the Moon is on track to gross $165 million through July 4th, by far the biggest debut of the year at the domestic box office. Worldwide, the 3D tentpole is looking at a worldwide opening of $325 million to $350 million. So far, the pic has grossed $66 million overseas for a total $130.7 million.
It isn’t as big as the launch of sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which debuted to $200 million in its first six days, but it’s still a monster number and ahead of the $155.4 million earned by the original Transformers.
In North America, Dark of the Moon is earning the majority of its gross—or 60 percent –from 3D theaters, including 146 Imax locations, which have ponied up a strong $5 million. That’s welcome news for Hollywood, considering the recent downturn in 3D attendance, and comes after Paramount aggressively marketed the 3D element.
On Thursday, Dark of the Moon was down 43 percent from Wednesday, a narrower decline that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen saw, although that film had a bigger Wednesday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show