- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film written and directed by Jolie and starring partner Brad Pitt is set to shoot at Mgarr ix-Xini beach on Gozo, Malta’s second largest island. The beach was closed to the public Sunday for filming, running through Nov. 10 this year. The Malta Independent says that set construction is well underway with one structure on the beach nearing completion.
By the Sea will be the first time Pitt and Jolie have appeared onscreen together since 2005’s Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Universal picked up the worldwide rights to the drama, and sources close to the production told The Hollywood Reporter that a key plot detail in the film would see Pitt’s and Jolie’s characters getting married.
The film won’t be the first time Pitt has shot a movie in the Maltese Islands, as both the Greek epic Troy from 2004 and the zombie apocalypse thriller World War Z from 2013 were filmed in Malta.
Aug. 18, 04:45 a.m. A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Brad Pitt as Angelina Jolie’s husband. He is her partner. THR regrets the error.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day