The joke’s on Vitalii Sediuk: The Ukrainian TV reporter’s latest red-carpet assaults on celebrities have left him without a job.
The 1+1 TV channel fired Sediuk on May 17, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, the day after Sediuk jumped beneath America Ferrera‘s dress on a Cannes red carpet. Sediuk therefore was working independently and without any media affiliation when he physically accosted Brad Pitt at the Hollywood premiere of Maleficent on May 28 – a decision that landed the six-foot-two reporter in jail.
In a statement, Galyna Grubliak, a spokeswoman for the network, said Sediuk “no longer represents the interests of the company.”
“[The] prank on the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival was Vitalii’s personal initiative,” Grubliak said in the statement. “The journalist did not report his plans to the channel’s Editorial Office.”
“1+1 Media Company is sorry for the inconvenience caused to the American actress America Ferrera by the journalist’s behavior,” the statement continued. “Such behavior of the journalist is contrary to the values ??of the company and notions of journalistic ethics.”
1+1 declined to comment on the Pitt incident to THR since he no longer works for the channel.
Sediuk, 25, previously told THR that he relied on 1+1 — a celebrity-oriented network that airs the Ukrainian version of The Voice — to cover the legal costs incurred during his last brush with the law, following his arrest for storming the stage at the 2013 Grammys. That incident resulted in three years of probation and a lifetime ban from the L.A. Live complex.
This time around, Sediuk — who is still being held by the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department on suspicion of battery, pending $20,000 bond — will be left entirely to his own devices.
His first appearance before a Los Angeles judge is scheduled for Friday, but he has already been slapped with an emergency protective order barring him from approaching Pitt. The restraining order expires on Monday, but is likely to be extended.