- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Will Smith and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, who worked together on projects such as I Am Legend and I, Robot, are teaming up for another sci-fi property.
The duo are in early development on an adaptation of the novel Brilliance, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Brilliance, published in 2013, is from author Marcus Sakey and takes place in a world in which one percent of the population has been born with special powers since 1980.
Smith would play federal agent Nick Cooper, who is tasked with keeping tabs on individuals with special gifts, known as Brilliants. Cooper has special powers himself: the ability to read body language so well that he can predict people’s moves.
The book series spawned a trilogy, and at one time was set up as a potential film at Legendary and Universal with Smith attached. Other installments in the book series include A Better World and Written in Fire.
Smith recently starred in Aladdin, which became his first film to gross $1 billion, and has Ang Lee’s Gemini Man due out Oct. 11 and Bad Boys for Life opening Jan. 17.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day