- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A24 has picked up Australian thriller Son of a Gun, starring Ewan McGregor, for the U.S. As in the case with the company’s acquisition of The Captive, the deal was made in partnership with DirecTV.
The film marks Julius Avery‘s directorial debut and also stars Alicia Vikander and Brenton Thwaites.
UTA handled the U.S. rights deal.
Altitude Film Sales, which is selling international rights in Cannes, hosted a market screening for the film. McGregor plays Australia’s public enemy No. 1, and the story focuses on his relationship with his young protege.
Screen Australia is backing the project, which is being produced by Timothy White of Southern Light Film. Hopscotch Entertainment One is releasing the film in Australia.
While Son of a Gun is his first feature film project, Avery has already had success with his 2008 short film Jerrycan, which won the Cannes jury prize.
In Cannes, A24 has already acquired Ryan Reynolds-starring film The Captive, which is in competition at the fest.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day