- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The Dress: A white silk embroidered Dior gown.
The Wearer: Rooney Mara, who arrived with new beau Joaquin Phoenix.
The Event: The closing ceremony of the 70th annual Cannes Film Festival on Sunday.
Why It Matters: Rarely one to disappoint on the red carpet, the actress brought her fashion A-game on the last evening of this year’s Cannes fest. Styled by Ryan Hastings, Mara stepped out in a sheer white dress with point collar and 3D details that elevated what would have otherwise been a plain LWD. Contrasting black pointy-toe pumps, tassel clutch and round sunnies added a bit of edge. Dior designer Maria Grazia Chiuri dressed a bevy of beauties at this year’s Cannes event, including Nicole Kidman (in an earthy-looking tea-length style which also made our best-dressed list), Charlize Theron, Elle Fanning and Rihanna.
Mara and Phoenix made their debut as a couple at the fest, where Phoenix won the best actor prize for Lynne Ramsay’s You Were Never Really Here. Things reportedly got romantic between the couple on the set of Mary Magdalene, in which Mara stars as the titular character and Phoenix portrays Jesus. Talk about a summer (love) glow.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day