- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Philippe Garrel, who attended the very first edition of Cannes’ Directors’ Fortnight with The Virgin’s Bed in 1969, will celebrate the opening of the 47th edition with his new film, In the Shadow of Women.
Starring Clotilde Courau, Lena Paugam and Stanislas Merhar, In the Shadow of Women tells the story of Pierre and Manon, a couple of low-budget documentary makers whose relationship unravels when Pierre starts an affair with his assistant only to discover Manon already has a lover of her own.
Edouard Waintrop, artistic director of the Directors’ Fortnight, described it as an “elegant film, cruel and tender, about the cruelty of men, the intelligence of women, the everyday heroism of lovers, their lucidity.”
The Directors’ Fortnight full lineup is due to be announced April 21.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day