- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Cannes Film Festival organizers have announced the dates for the 2019 session.
Next year’s festival will run May 14-25, sticking to the Tuesday through Saturday schedule launched for the first time earlier this year.
The move of the dates in 2018 was meant to signal a new period in the festival’s history, following its big 70th birthday in 2017.
Summer is here! We are pleased to announce that the 72nd edition of the Festival de Cannes will take place from Tuesday 14th to Saturday 25th May 2019. Note the dates down before you forget! #Cannes2019
Photo: Jessica Chastain © L. Venance / AFP pic.twitter.com/h16KFEyCPi
— Festival de Cannes (@Festival_Cannes) July 9, 2018
The festival will run for 12 days, with the closing ceremony broadcast live and free on CanalPlus Saturday night.
It remains to be seen if the festival will stick with the new screening schedule, which it also debuted this year. The new rules required the film’s red carpet gala premieres to be the first showing of a film, relegating press screenings to the next morning. The move was made to avoid Twitter spoilers and other reviews being published before the premieres, but remained controversial with journalists.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day