- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
German children’s television production/distribution company Studio 100 Media has launched a new film division, Studio 100 Film, which will focus on feature productions.
The group’s first project will be a movie based on classic children’s cartoon Maya the Bee, a 3D animated film directed by Alexs Stadermann, a senior animator of films such as Jungle Book 2 and The Little Mermaid 2.
PHOTOS: Cannes: ‘Hunger Games’ Cast Attends ‘Jimmy P.’ Premiere
The project is being set up as a German/Australian co-production between Studio 100 Media and Australia’s Buzz Studios. Barbara Stephens (The Woodlies) at Buzz and Studio 100 Media’s Thorsten Wegener (Momo) will produce.
Studio 100 Film will handle world theatrical sales for the title, which has pre-sold to Universum Film for German speaking territories, to Monolith Films for Poland and to Karantanija Cinemas for ex-Yugoslavia.
The original 1970s Maya the Bee series, which follows the adventures of a plucky bumble bee, was recently re-launched as a 3D animated show. Maya the Bee, the movie, will bow in German cinemas in September 2014.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day