- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
South Korea’s The Merciless has sold to 117 territories, CJ Entertainment confirmed for The Hollywood Reporter on Thursday during the Cannes Film Market.
The crime thriller had pre-sold to 85 territories and before signing additional deals to India, Australia and Japan, among others, during the French event for a total 117.
Before making its international premiere on Thursday through Cannes’ midnight screening, the film had already pre-sold to France’s ARP in April. It is set to open in French theaters on June 28. According to CJ Entertainment and media reports, The Merciless‘ Cannes screening received an eight-minute standing ovation.
Back home, the film opened at No. 2 in the South Korean box office on May 17. Over its debut weekend of May 19-21, it earned a total $4.3 million according to the Korean Film Council, and a cume $5.1 as of Thursday.
Directed by Byun Sung-hyun, The Merciless stars veteran actor Seol Gyeong-gu (Peppermint Candy, Haeundae) opposite K-pop star/actor Yim Si-wan (The Attorney, Misaeng: Incomplete Life). Seol plays the role of a prisoner who takes a newbie (Yim) under his wing in order to expand his underworld influence beyond bars.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day