- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The film, directed by the South Korean helmer of The Yellow Sea and The Chaser, follows the arrival of a mysterious stranger (Chun Woo-hee) in an otherwise quiet village which coincides with a rash of vicious murders, causing panic and suspicion amongst the villagers. When the daughter of investigating officer Jong-Goo (Kwak Do-won) falls under the same savage spell, he calls for a shaman (Hwang Jung-min) to assist in finding the culprit.
Well Go USA Entertainment will release The Wailing on May 27 after its premiere in Cannes out of competition. Fox International Productions will release the pic in its native South Korea on May 12.
The deal continues Well Go’s relationship with Hou Hsiao-Hsien. The company previously acquired the director’s film The Assassin ahead of its Cannes debut.
“We’re delighted to partner with Fox on director Na’s newest vision,” said Doris Pfardrescher, president and CEO of Well Go USA Entertainment. “It’s a visceral, gripping and shocking film that will stun and thrill both fans of his previous works as well as newcomers to the genre.”
The deal was negotiated between Doris Pfardrescher at Well Go USA Entertainment and Dmitry Kaplun, vp of business Operations at Fox International Productions
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day