- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Under the Shadow, the Farsi-language horror thriller from first-time director Babak Anvari that became a breakthrough hit in Sundance, is to be remade in English.
XYZ Films is again on board to sell the feature internationally and will also produce alongside the London-based banner behind the original, Wigwam Films, with which the company acquired worldwide rights to several upcoming projects through a new partnership.
Anvari, who saw Netflix swoop in for SVOD rights on his debut, will exec produce the remake, which – according to Wigwam’s co-founder Lucan Toh – will move the setting from post-revolution 1980s Tehran to WWII London during the Blitz. Toh added that a director would soon be announced.
While he won’t helm the remake, Anvari is prepping his next feature as a director, which Toh calls a “Hitchcockian thriller.”
Also on Wigwam’s slate is a film likely to attract the interest of several million (mainly male) video game fans. A new project based around the uber-popular Football Manager series of sports management simulations, which has been released annually since 1992 and began life as Championship Manager, is in the pipeline.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Sir Anthony Hopkins