- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It’s not wise to upset a Wookiee, but it seems making one laugh is internet gold.
Candace Payne posted a video to Facebook on Thursday of her trying on a Chewbacca mask and just having a ball while wearing the animated Star Wars toy. Less than a day later, it has racked up more than 50 million views.
The video was not just huge on Facebook. So many people were talking about it Friday afternoon, “Chewbacca” began trending on Twitter in the U.S.
In the four-minute video, Payne says she bought the mask for herself from Kohl’s as a secret birthday present. It’s possible no one has ever had more fun with a Star Wars toy. “It’s the simple joys in life,” she wrote with the video.
The video was so popular, so fast, even Peter Mayhew, the actor who brought Chewbacca to life, took notice.
“Absolutely wonderful! Cheers,” Mayhew wrote on Reddit.
The video has also been great for sales, Maggie Lund, a spokeswoman for Kohl’s told The Hollywood Reporter.
“The mask is currently sold out on Kohls.com, but shoppers wanting to take part in the fun can still purchase it at select Kohl’s stores across the country,” she tells THR.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day