- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“Welcome to Chi-Raq! Land of pain, misery and strife.”
So says Samuel L. Jackson, dressed in a orange suit and wielding a walking cane, in the beginning of the trailer for Chi-Raq, as he welcomes audiences to Spike Lee’s modern adaptation of the ancient Greek comedy Lysistrata by Aristophanes.
The movie follows the story of the titular Lysistrata (Teyonah Parris) banding together with other women in Chicago’s South Side to lower the murder rate in their city by denying sex to men who perpetrate violent crimes.
The trailer sees Wesley Snipes in a bedazzled eye patch and Dave Chappelle yelling about empty stripper polls. Nick Cannon, Jennifer Hudson, Angela Bassett and John Cusack also are seen in the 2 1/2-minute spot.
The Do the Right Thing director helmed the film, which he co-wrote with Kevin Willmott.
Chi-Raq is Amazon Studios’ first original movie.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day