- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Good news arrived Thursday for Fifty Shades of Grey fans.
Universal announced that Fifty Shades Darker, the sequel to the box-office blockbuster will hit theaters on Feb. 10, 2017. The third film in the series, Fifty Shades Freed, will debut Feb. 9, 2018.
The news came one day after The Hollywood Reporter reported exclusively that the husband of Fifty Shades trilogy author E.L. James will write the script for the second film. Niall Leonard, who is married to and has two sons with the British author, is an author himself, in addition to being a screenwriter.
James, whose real name is Erika Leonard, has been credited with keeping a strong amount of creative control when it comes to Universal’s adaptations of her books, the second of which is entitled Fifty Shades Darker. After clashing with James, Sam Taylor-Johnson isn’t returning to direct the sequel.
Stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan are negotiating for more money for the sequel after the first film, released over Valentine’s Day weekend this year, earned a massive $568.8 million worldwide.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day