- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Clueless, the 1995 teen romantic comedy that starred Alicia Silverstone, is getting the remake treatment.
Paramount Studios is hiring Marquita Robinson, a writer and story editor on Netflix’s GLOW, to pen the script for an update to be produced by Tracy Oliver, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Oliver is best known for writing Girls Trip.
The remake is in early development and details on a take were not revealed.
Amy Heckerling wrote and directed Clueless, which was a modern-take on Emma, the Jane Austen novel about a young woman who decides to play matchmaker. Silverstone played Cher, the socially hip teen who plays matchmaker and tries to give a makeover to the new girl, played by Brittany Murphy. Paul Rudd played her step-brother for whom she falls, while Stacey Dash was her best friend.
The movie was a solid box-office hit, but had an even bigger impact on pop culture. A TV spinoff followed.
The pic’s popularity is still a force today, with an off-Broadway play set to make its debut in November with Dove Cameron starring as Cher.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures