- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Angel Manuel Soto, who helmed the 2020 Sundance coming-of-age drama Charm City Kings, was earlier tapped to direct DC’s first film to center on a Latino superhero. Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, who penned Miss Bala and the upcoming Scarface reboot, wrote the script for Blue Beetle.
Maridueña starred in Cobra Kai alongside Ralph Macchio, William Zabka, Courtney Henggeler, Mary Mouser, Tanner Buchanan, Martin Kove, Jacob Bertrand, Nichole Brown and Peyton List. The Wrap was the first to report the news of Maridueña being in talks for Blue Beetle.
Multiple iterations of Blue Beetle have existed in the comics, with the film focusing on Jaime Reyes, an El Paso teen who uses alien armor granted by a strange artifact to defend his hometown. Reyes first debuted in the comics in 2006 from creators Keith Giffen, John Rogers and Cully Hamner.
Warner Bros.’ next big-screen outing is James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad, due out Aug. 6. The Blue Beetle film is looking to start production in early 2022. John Rickard is producing for HBO Max. Zev Foreman is executive producing.
Maridueña is repped by UTA and Valor Entertainment Group. Soto is repped by CAA and Jairo Alvarado at Redefine Entertainment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day