- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
They join Ruairi O’Connor, the Spanish Princess star, earlier tapped to play Holly, the rock ‘n’ roll pioneer who, along with Ritchie Valens, J.P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson and pilot Roger Peterson, died in a plane crash outside a snowy Clear Lake, Iowa, on Feb. 3, 1959.
Hanks will co-star as Norman Petty, Holly’s manager and producer, while Nelly will fill the role of Chuck Berry. Orange Is the New Black star Guerrero will play María Elena Holly, wife of Holly.
Clear Lake will open with Holly’s teen years, then portray his 1958 Biggest Show of Stars tour with Clarence Collins, founder of Little Anthony & the Imperials, as they broke racial barriers by performing together across the U.S. in 1958.
The movie is produced by Rick French, Stuart Benjamin, David Hirshland and Kathy Rivkin Daum, while María Elena Holly, Stephen Easley and Peter Bradley Jr. are associate producers. Patrick Shanahan, who penned the screenplay, is a co-producer.
Hanks is represented by UTA and MGMT Entertainment. Guerrero is repped by A3 Artists Agency and Vamnation Entertainment.
Nelly is repped by ICM Partners and J. Erving Management.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day