- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Columbia Pictures is set to partner on a Chinese language remake of the 1997 romantic comedy My Best Friend’s Wedding, the studio said Wednesday.
Columbia entered into an agreement with Chinese producer and distributor New Classics Media to develop the title — which originally starred Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney — with a production start date of December 2014.
The remake is only one of several local language productions that the studio has planned.
The studio has entered into an agreement with New Classics Media to distribute director Chen Kaige‘s action title The Monk through Sony Pictures Releasing International for a Summer 2015 release. Kaige’s film revolves around a monk who develops “extraordinary martial arts skills to survive in the outside world.”
Principal photography already has begun on The Monk, the studio said. New Classics Media will release the film in China. The studio also is in talks to release director Jin-gyo Cho‘s Summer Has Tears with Chinese partner Ruyi Media.
“Columbia Pictures is re-emphasizing our long established commitment to Chinese local language production,” said Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, in a statement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day