- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Benedict Cumberbatch cast a spell on San Diego Comic-Con Saturday.
The Doctor Strange presentation during Marvel Studio’s Hall H panel included new footage, including a lengthy scene in which Cumberbatch’s Stephen Strange met The Ancient One (Tilda Swinton) for the first time — with the footage leading into a new trailer for the Marvel Studios film.
Also on hand for the panel were director Scott Derrickson and stars Chiwetel Ejiofor (Baron Karl Mordo) Mads Mikkelsen (Kaecilius) Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer) and Benedict Wong (Wong).
The film faced some backlash after Swinton’s casting as the Ancient One, traditionally a character of Asian descent in the comics. But Swinton addressed concerns of white washing on stage.
“The truth is, anyone of us could be the Ancient One.” Swinton said on stage. “The Ancient One is a title.”
Doctor Strange is set for a Nov. 4 release.
Bookmark THR.com/ComicCon to keep up with all the highlights.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day