- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
And suddenly, the lines for San Diego Comic-Con’s Hall H got a little bit shorter in advance. The reason? That’d be the news that not only will Peter Jackson not be attending this year, but there won’t be any new footage from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug at the show, either.
In news that will likely disappoint Warner Bros. executives as much as it does hardcore Tolkien fans, Jackson revealed that he had recently told Warners that he “just wasn’t ready to present anything of the Desolation of Smaug at Comic-Con this year.” It came down to a choice between attending the show and making the movie, he explained during the introduction to a new video blog published yesterday. “I’m so busy shooting, working six days a week trying to get these pickups done, that every hour that I spend focusing on a really great reel for Comic-Con — and it would have to be great — would be hours spent away from the vital job of making the second and third Hobbit films as cool as they could possibly be.”
“I just had to take the Comic-Con burden off my shoulders,” he apologized. “I’m sure you understand.”
San Diego Comic-Con begins July 18, and runs through July 22.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day