- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Oscilloscope Laboratories has acquired North American rights to Valerie Muller’s and Angelin Preljocaj’s Polina, a drama about a Russian ballerina who moves to Paris to pursue her dream of becoming a modern dancer.
Preljocaj, a dancer and choreographer himself, co-directed the film with Muller, who also wrote the screenplay based on the graphic novel by Bastien Vives.
Anastasia Shevtsova stars as the title character, while Juliette Binoche co-stars as a famous choreographer.
The film, which had its world premiere at the 2016 Venice Film Festival, will be released theatrically in July.
O-Scope’s Dan Berger said of the distributor’s latest acquisition, “Polina showcases the great talent that Angelin Preljocaj displays beyond his work on stage. With the brilliant Valerie Muller, he has created a wonderfully told tale for the screen with as much mastery as he brings to his live performances. We are very proud to introduce the work of Angelin and Valerie to a wider audience; they are incredible talents to watch.”
The film was produced by Didier Creste and Gaelle Bayssiere for Everybody on Deck, and the deal was brokered by TF1 Studio handling the international sales.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Ellen DeGeneres Show