- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Comedian Daniel Tosh took ESPN to task for allegedly stealing his idea.
On the latest episode of Tosh.0, which aired Tuesday night on Comedy Central, Tosh drew attention to a new segment on SportsCenter that “eerily” resembles his weekly “Web Redemption” segment and duplicates one of its signature lines.
“Did ESPN really think I wouldn’t notice when they came up with an eerily familiar new segment called ‘Awesome Video Segment’?” Tosh asked his studio audience.
Tosh aired a SportsCenter clip announcing the piece in which a reporter asks, “Are you ready to give it another shot?” a common line in “Web Redemption.”
An ESPN spokesperson on Wednesday defended the language used on the show. “This was more of an instance of us using a common phrase than it was copying his wording,” the network’s statement read. “We know that doesn’t sound like the strongest explanation, yet it’s the truth. We are looking forward to ‘giving it another shot’ in future installments of ‘The Awesome Video Segment.’”
The comedian retaliated by mocking the network’s “Sport Science” segment in a skit called “Sport Science.0.”
Watch Tosh take a swing at ESPN on Tosh.0 below.
Get More: Comedy Central
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day