- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. has decided not to report opening weekend earnings for The Dark Knight Rises in the wake of the worst act of violence in a theater in U.S. history.
That doesn’t mean the world won’t know how the film is doing since rival studios have access to box office numbers.
“Out of respect for the victims and their families, Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box office numbers for The Dark Knight Rises throughout the weekend. Box office numbers will be released on Monday,” the studio said in a statement issued early Friday evening.
At least 12 people were killed and dozens injured when suspect James Holmes opened fire in a theater in Aurora, Colo. The heavily-armed man was dressed as the Joker, according to police.
A studio insider told The Hollywood Reporter it would be “insensitive” to talk about the numbers for Dark Knight Rises in light of the shooting.
So far, the movie is doing gangbuster business at the box office even as news of the shooting sinks in.
Box office observers expect Dark Knight Rises to earn $80 million to $90 million on Friday for a weekend gross in the $170 million to $180 million range — the best three-day opening of all time after The Avengers ($207 million).
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
The Many Saints of Newark