- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Space Jam: A New Legacy gives a quick nod to a classic Chappelle’s Show sketch that Prince fans are going to love.
In the Warner Bros. sequel that premiered on HBO Max and in theaters Friday, there is a moment when the Looney Tunes are practicing for the first time under LeBron James’ guidance. Needless to say, a scrimmage quickly descends into silly madness, with Granny destroying the basketball hoop with a monster dunk.
As she pokes out of the rubble, Granny says, “Game, blouses.” That of course is the iconic line from the classic Prince sketch on Chappelle’s Show.
In the Comedy Central series segment “Charlie Murphy’s True Hollywood Stories,” the late, great comic-actor told the tale of one night in the ’80s when he and his pals met Prince in a club, then went back to the legendary musician’s place and randomly played a pickup game of hoops.
As it turns out, Prince was actually a great baller and his team beat Murphy’s pals easily. In the sketch, when Chappelle’s Prince character scores the final points on a dunk, he says “Game, blouses,” which was a reference to an early insult from Murphy over what the singer was wearing.
And, of course, at the end of the evening, they all ate pancakes.
Watch the classic Chappelle’s Show moment below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day