- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
David O. Russell has surfaced as one of the directors circling Disney’s fantasy Maleficent, from scribe Linda Woolverton.
Angelina Jolie has long been attached to star as the titular character in the event pic.
Tim Burton exited the project earlier this year, opening up the director’s spot. Russell is among those now being considered to helm the pic, but insiders stressed there are other names in the mix as well.
Maleficent is a live-action version of the Sleeping Beauty story, told from the point of view of the evil witch.
Russell’s calendar opened up when he parted ways last month with Columbia Pictures, where he was attached to direct Unchartered Drake’s Fortune, based on the popular video game. Russell, who wrote a draft of the script for Unchartered, told THR Monday night at a charity benefit that the split was over creative differences.
Russell is repped by CAA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day