- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After receiving praise from Kanye West, 12 Years a Slave has another hip-hop endorsement, from mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs.
In a new video posted by his Revolt TV channel, Diddy urges viewers to see Steve McQueen‘s critically acclaimed film, claiming his support is “not a paid endorsement.”
“This is as a black man, a father, a human being of this world, one of God’s children: The truth has finally almost been told through this movie,” he says. “This movie is very painful but very honest and is a part of the healing process. I beg all of you to take your kids, everybody to see it. … You have to see this so you can understand, so you can just start to understand, you know? Please. Go see this movie, 12 Years a Slave.”
In the video, soundtracked by dramatic music, Diddy is shown walking in the dark wearing a Revolt hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses and talking to the camera.
12 Years a Slave has received praise from critics and awards experts, who see the film as a likely Oscar nominee in several categories.
The Fox Searchlight film received three Gotham Award nominations Thursday.
It’s currently playing in select theaters.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day