- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Disney will attempt to find the formula for love and laughter with The Girlfriend Equation.
The studio has picked up the pitch, based on a story that appeared on Public Radio International’s This American Life, with scribes Tim Rasmussen and Vince Di Meglio on board to write. Andrew Panay is producing via his Disney-based Panay Films with This American Life host Ira Glass executive producing.
Girlfriend Equation is loosely inspired by the true story of a Harvard grad student who attempted to identify and woo the love of his life through complex math equations.
Alex Ankeles will oversee for Panay Films.
Panay is making a niche for himself at Disney with his comedy projects. Earlier this spring he, along with Underground Films, set up teen comedy spec Something Cliqued and is also developing Father Figures, a comedy spec by Laurie Craig about a father and stepfather who misplace their son.
Rasmussen and Di Meglio, repped by UTA and Mosaic, worked on the Robin Williams-John Krasinski rom-com License to Wed as well as Marmaduke. They also have the comedy Father of the Brides set up at Warners with David Dobkin attached to direct. Panay is also producing that later.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day