- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Donald Glover stopped by Ellen for the first time to discuss his new Star Wars gig an in an episode that aired Wednesday.
On Friday, StarWars.com announced that the Atlanta star would be taking on the role of Lando Calrissian in Disney and Lucasfilm’s upcoming young Han Solo spinoff.
“It’s really crazy. I’m very honored,” Glover said about being cast as Cloud City’s suave administrator, a part first played by Billy Dee Williams in the original franchise. “It’s a very big deal.”
The rapper-actor told DeGeneres he’d been a major fan of the franchise from childhood (and even rocked Star Wars t-shirts in high school).
“That was the first toy I had — Lando. That was the very first. I remember it like yesterday,” he added. “My dad gave it to me. I had a Darth Vader one, too.”
Glover shared that he called his parents immediately after the news broke, and his mom, an avid fan of Williams, offered wise words of advice: “Don’t mess it up.”
The untitled Han Solo project, directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, is slated for a 2018 release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Representation in Hollywood
Tokyo Film Festival