- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The actress (Noah, the Harry Potter franchise) gave an address to mark the launch of the HeForShe campaign. The campaign is aimed at encouraging men to support gender equality.
Watson, who was named a goodwill ambassador for U.N. Women earlier this year, called herself a feminist but said that the word has become “unpopular” among women because it is seen as carrying a stigma that someone is aggressive.
“I am from Britain, and I think it is right that I am paid the same as my male counterparts,” she said. “I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body, I think.” She added: “If men don’t need to control, women won’t have to be controlled.”
She received a standing ovation at the end of her remarks, which start at the 31:20 mark in the video below.
The event was hosted by Wolf Blitzer and attended by Kiefer Sutherland and Forest Whitaker.
A full transcript of Watson’s address can be read here.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Academy Museum of Motion Pictures