- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ewan McGregor is in final negotiations to light up the screen as Lumiere in Disney’s live-action version of Beauty and the Beast.
McGregor joins an all-star lineup that includes Emma Watson as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast/Prince, Luke Evans as the vain villain Gaston, Josh Gad as Le Fou, Gaston’s buffoonish and loyal sidekick, Ian McKellen as Cogsworth and Audra McDonald as Garderobe.
Lumiere is one of the movie’s major supporting roles, a suave maitre d’ who is turned into a candelabra by the curse that falls on the prince’s castle. The character appears in a number of musical numbers and has a major solo in the “Be Our Guest” showstopper.
Bill Condon is directing the movie, which begins production in May at Shepperton Studios in London.
McGregor is on screens with the indie Last Days in the Desert and will be seen later this year starring opposite Natalie Portman in Jane Got a Gun.
He has sung onscreen before, notably in 2001 in Baz Luhrmann’s Moulin Rouge!
He is repped by UTA and United Agents.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day