- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
A Fast and Furious cinematic universe? It could happen.
Universal insiders say that the studio and franchise star Vin Diesel are exploring the idea of spinoffs and prequels as it seeks to develop movies beyond its core Furious movies.
The studio is coming off of a stellar $1.5 billion worldwide gross with this year’s Furious 7, and recently hired F. Gary Gray to navigate that speedy world in what will be the first movie that will not feature deceased actor Paul Walker. At least three more movies, including the eighth one, are planned.
The franchise is the studio’s most lucrative brand and it’s no surprise it will try to keep the cash flowing.
Cinematic universes have been a cause celebre in the studio world ever since Marvel Studios tied their movies together, building up to mega tentpole events in the form of The Avengers movies.
Universal is already trying to create a universe with a line of movies focused on its classic monsters characters such as Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy and vampire hunter Van Helsing.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day