- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Though many sons take after their father’s looks, few were also passed down their old man’s acting chops and followed his footsteps to Hollywood.
In honor of Father’s Day, THR rounds up six real-life fathers and sons who have starred opposite each other onscreen.
1. Kirk Douglas and Michael Douglas
Michael had an uncredited cameo in his father’s 1966 film Cast a Giant Shadow before both starred together in 2003’s It Runs in the Family. Cameron Douglas, Kirk’s grandson, also had a supporting role in the film, marking the appearance of three generations of the Douglas family.
2. Tom Hanks and Colin Hanks
The pair appeared together as father and son in the comedy-drama The Great Buck Howard, in which Colin had a leading role. Colin also had a minor role in the 1996 film That Thing You Do!,written/directed by and starring Tom.
3. Will Smith and Jaden Smith
Will played the role of a struggling, single father who goes to extreme lengths to make ends meet financially to support his son, played by then-8-year-old Jaden, in 2006’s The Pursuit of Happyness (a role for which he earned a best actor Oscar nomination). Seven years later, the two reunited onscreen for 2013’s sci-fi film After Earth, in which they again played father and son.
4. Jerry Stiller and Ben Stiller
Ben followed in his father’s footsteps and pursued an early career in comedy, first starring opposite Jerry in 1987’s Hot Pursuit. The duo has since appeared in numerous titles together, including Zoolander and The Heartbreak Kid.
5. Clint Eastwood and Scott Eastwood
Before landing major roles in The Longest Ride, Snowden and this fall’s highly anticipated Suicide Squad, Scott had minor cameos in films led by Clint. Since establishing his own acting career in 2006, Scott has been seen in three of his actor-director-producer father’s projects — Gran Torino, Invictus and Trouble with the Curve.
6. Martin Sheen and Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez
Martin and Charlie have been featured together in multiple films, most notably 1987’s Wall Street (in which they played father and son) and 1990’s Cadence (also Martin’s feature film directorial debut). Martin’s other son, Emilio Estevez, also had a starring role opposite him in 2010’s The Way.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day