- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
It’s safe to say this is not the kind of publicity that the team behind Fifty Shades of Grey wants.
Mohammad Hossain, a 19-year-old University of Illinois at Chicago student, was arrested Saturday for alleged sexual assault in his dorm room. The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that he is still in custody.
According to police reports, Hossain was in his room with a 19-year-old female student with whom he had been intimate previously. After the woman agreed to remove some of her clothing, Hossain allegedly tied her hands and legs and put a necktie over her mouth before hitting her with a belt.
The woman told him to stop, but he started punching her, and then he sexually assaulted her, prosecutors say, adding that she was able to leave when his roommate got home. According to prosecutors, Hossain told police he was recreating scenes from Fifty Shades, a steamy novel by EL James that centers on a BDSM relationship.
The Dakota Johnson–Jamie Dornan film adaptation of the book just spent its second straight weekend at the top of the box office.
Hossain was charged with felony aggravated criminal sexual assault, with bail set at $500,000.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day