- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Steve Carell‘s Gru and his adorable minions aren’t just taking over the box office, where Universal’s Despicable Me 2 grossed $34.3 million on Wednesday.
The first Despicable Me movie is the No. 1 movie download on iTunes and Amazon as of Friday morning. The film is available to rent (starting at $2.99) and buy ($9.99) on both sites. The first movie is also the No. 9 rented title on Google Play ($2.99).
Minion Madness, a 12-minute collection of mini movies about the minions is also making noise on the charts, landing at No. 14 on Google Play, No. 33 on iTunes and No. 75 on Amazon. Despite its higher placement on the Google Play chart, it costs $4.99 to buy there and $3.99 on iTunes and Amazon.
The Despicable Me game is also the top free iPhone app and No. 5 on Google Play’s list of free Android apps.
Meanwhile, preorders for the second film have already begun in earnest, with these advanced purchases putting Despicable Me 2 at No. 18 on Amazon’s list of best-selling DVDs (where the first film is also No. 1) and No. 73 on iTunes’ list of top movies.
iTunes features a Despicable Me 2 promotion on its main page, and Amazon has a promo on the main page for its Instant Video offerings.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day