- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The first-look image from the muscular thriller – the director’s first to be set in the U.S., and executive produced by Martin Scorsese – sees Cillian Murphy, Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, Michael Smiley, Sam Riley and Enzo Cilenti look exceedingly shady as they prepare for an arms trade in 1978 Chicago.
Jack Reynor and Sharlto Copley also star in the film, which follows the explosive fallout from the deal in a deserted warehouse.
The fast-rising Wheatley, who wrote the film alongside his partner Amy Jump, said that the idea came from his “love of hard-boiled crime movies, from The Asphalt Jungle, The Big Sleep, The Killing and The Big Combo through to The Driver, Le Samourai and The French Connection, to the modern cycle of Goodfellas, Casino, Hard Boiled and Reservoir Dogs.”
A24 has U.S. rights to the film, which is backed by Film4. Protagonist is selling internationally.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day